Murder, love triangles, baby daddies, and millionaires—there’s just something about daytime TV you gotta love.
Anyone who’s ever “stayed home sick from work” or skipped school knows the truth: you spend the day binging on good ol’ daytime television. We’re talking Family Feud, Dr. Phil, Wheel of Fortune—guilty pleasures you’ll never admit to liking but can’t get enough of.
Our team at USDirect got to thinking: what are the most-popular daytime TV shows in each state? To find out, we started with a list of all currently airing daytime TV shows (excluding Sunday morning programs), then looked at Google search volume of each show from the past year by state and compiled a list of the most-watched daytime TV shows in America.
Can you guess your state’s favorite daytime guilty pleasure?
Check the map below to see if you’re right.
- Indiana has an affinity for game shows where contestants can win money—they’re also the state with the most lottery winners since 1992.
- Oklahoma searches for Dr. Phil more than any other state (makes sense, since that’s where he’s from).
- Nevada is obsessed with Who Wants To Be a Millionaire, and unsurprisingly so—Gardnerville Ranchos and Elko are among the top 20 small towns with the highest concentration of millionaires in the U.S. (with no state income tax and modest property taxes to boot).
- Georgia’s favorite show is Sister Circle, which is filmed in Atlanta.
- Game show was the most popular category, with 18 states choosing one of the seven game shows on our list.
- Despite Ellen DeGeneres being from Louisiana, residents there prefer The Young and the Restless.
- New Jersey loves General Hospital, which has been running for 55 years (over 14,000 episodes). That makes the show older than the average resident (39 years).
- Despite the fact that Good Morning America has “been the most watched morning show… since Summer 2012,” New Hampshire is its only die-hard fan.
Ever wonder what your neighbors watch all day? This list might give you an idea.
- Alabama: Paternity Court
- Alaska: The Dr. Oz Show
- Arizona: The Price is Right
- Arkansas: Dr. Phil
- California: The Ellen DeGeneres Show
- Colorado: DAILY BLAST LIVE
- Connecticut: The People’s Court
- Delaware: Hot Bench
- Florida: Supreme Justice with Judge Karen
- Georgia: Sister Circle
- Hawaii: The Dr. Oz Show
- Idaho: Dr. Phil
- Illinois: Judge Mathis
- Indiana: Let’s Make a Deal
- Iowa: The Dr. Oz Show
- Kansas: Dr. Phil
- Kentucky: Dr. Phil
- Louisiana: The Young and the Restless
- Maine: Jeopardy!
- Maryland: The Real
- Massachusetts: Funny You Should Ask
- Michigan: The Doctors
- Minnesota: The Price is Right
- Mississippi: Wheel of Fortune
- Missouri: Hot Bench
- Montana: Dr. Phil
- Nebraska: The Price is Right
- Nevada: Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
- New Hampshire: Good Morning America
- New Jersey: General Hospital
- New Mexico: The Doctors
- New York: The View
- North Carolina: Family Feud
- North Dakota: Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
- Ohio: The Price is Right
- Oklahoma: Dr. Phil
- Oregon: TMZ Live
- Pennsylvania: The View
- Rhode Island: The Today Show
- South Carolina: Jeopardy!
- South Dakota: The Price is Right
- Tennessee: Maury
- Texas: Justice for All with Judge Cristina Perez
- Utah: The Ellen DeGeneres Show
- Vermont: Jeopardy!
- Virginia: Jeopardy!
- Washington: Jeopardy!
- West Virginia: Days of our Lives
- Wisconsin: The Price is Right
- Wyoming: Wheel of Fortune
Next time you’re staying home from work or school and looking for something to watch, browse this list of daytime TV shows and count on DIRECTV’s 99% reliable signal to keep you entertained all day long.